You're not a customer at LGFCU, you're a member and an owner.
LGFCU is a not-for-profit credit union founded in 1983 specifically to address the financial needs of North Carolina's local government employees, elected and appointed officials, local volunteers and their families. If you’re affiliated with any of these groups you may qualify for membership.
Who can join LGFCU?
You must be associated with a North Carolina local government organization or be a qualifying relative of a current LGFCU member. This includes anyone who volunteers or is employed by any of the following:
- All North Carolina county governments
- All North Carolina municipalities (e.g. cities, towns, villages)
- All North Carolina volunteer fire departments
- Publicly-owned hospitals
- Housing authorities
- Airport authorities
- Sanitary districts
- Emergency management services (e.g. fire, rescue and law enforcement)
- Councils of Government
- Local government associations (NCSA, NCLM, NCACC, NCSFA)
- Commissions (e.g. planning, economic development)
Membership is also extended to:
- Elected and appointed government officials
- Retirees from North Carolina local government
- Contract employees in local government units
- Immediate family members of an LGFCU member (e.g. spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren and adopted children, mother, father, sister, brother or grandparents)
- Spouses of deceased persons who were eligible for membership
- Persons living in the same residence and maintaining a single household unit with an LGFCU member
Something for everyone
Your relationship with us starts with a Share Account which represents your ownership in LGFCU. Once you've opened a Share Account you can also open a Checking Account, apply for a credit card or even co-sign on an account with your teenager.
You'll need to have a current Driver's License or photo ID, proof of your status as a local government employee or volunteer, your Social Security number and $25 in cash, check or via debit card from a current account at another financial institution. If you are joining as a relative or household member of someone who is eligible via their work or volunteer status, make sure to have their account number or proof of their membership as well.
You can open your Share Account with a minimum deposit of $25 by visiting a local branch or by calling the Contact Center at 888.732.8562.
I’m joining LGFCU. Why do I go to an SECU branch?
Rather than operating our own branches, which is costly, we partner with SECU to provide all of our branch and ATM services. Our members enjoy the convenience of over 250 branches and 1,100 ATMs across the state, as well as the same friendly in-person service at SECU branches you'd expect with LGFCU.
Member Identification Notice
Procedures for opening a new account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you
When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
You’re always a member
Once you're a member of LGFCU, you are always a member, regardless of retirement or subsequent employment. Simply maintain the minimum balance of $25 in your Share Account and continue to enjoy the benefits of being a member-owner.
Choose how to join LGFCU:
- Call the Contact Center at 888.732.8562
- Visit your local branch