You and your family can be members for life. Learn how to get started!
If you are a North Carolina local government employee or volunteer, you can join by opening a Share Account. It’s a dividend-earning savings account that’s the foundation of every membership, and represents your ownership in the credit union.
Who can join LGFCU?
We are the only credit union exclusively serving North Carolina’s local government employees, elected and appointed officials, local volunteers and their families. If you are an employee or volunteer with any of the following, you qualify for membership:
- North Carolina municipalities, including cities, towns and villages
- North Carolina county governments
- Emergency management services, including fire, rescue, law enforcement and volunteer fire departments
- Authorities (housing, airport, water, sewer)
- Districts (sanitation, soil, water conservation)
- Commissions (planning, economic development)
- ABC Boards
- Parks and Recreation departments
- Councils of Government
- Local government associations
- Certain hospitals
Membership is also extended to:
- Elected and appointed government officials
- Retirees from North Carolina local government
- Contract employees in local government units
- Immediate family members of an LGFCU member, including spouse, children, grandchildren, mother, father, sister, brother or grandparents (membership is also extended to step relationships of listed family members)
- Foster parents
- Spouses of deceased persons who were eligible for membership
- Persons living in the same residence and maintaining a single household unit with an LGFCU member
Member Identification Notice
Procedures for opening a new account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you
When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
To open a Share Account, fill out the application and bring the following with you to your nearest branch:
- Current Driver’s License or photo ID.
- Proof of qualifying status, which may include a signed form from your volunteer manager, paystub from your employer or signed form from your HR department.
- Minimum deposit of $25.
If you are joining as a family or household member of a current LGFCU member, please also bring their account number or proof of their LGFCU membership.
Once you're a member of LGFCU, you are always a member, regardless of retirement or subsequent employment. Simply maintain the minimum balance of $25 in your Share Account and continue to enjoy the benefits of being a member-owner.
I’m joining LGFCU. Why do I go to an SECU branch?
While LGFCU and SECU are two separate credit unions, we’ve partnered so that our members can enjoy the full services of SECU’s branches and the convenience of their ATM network.
Choose how to join LGFCU:
- Call 888.732.8562
- Visit your local branch