NCUA Deposit Insurance protects credit union members against losses, just like the FDIC protects bank customers.
LGFCU is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a federal agency that administers the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). The NCUSIF, like the FDIC's Deposit Insurance Fund, is a federal deposit insurance fund backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government.
Our way of protecting you
The NCUA protects members against losses should a federally-insured credit union fail. Not one penny of insured savings has ever been lost by a member of a federally-insured credit union. No credit union may terminate its federal insurance without first notifying its members.
- Insures all types of deposit accounts up to $250,000.
- Insures retirement accounts separately up to $250,000.
- Allows coverage to be increased through multiple account ownership. (For example, individual accounts with the same account holder are insured up to $250,000. Joint accounts held separately from individual accounts are also insured up to $250,000.)
Other ways we protect your money
LGFCU uses several methods to make certain member deposits remain secure:
- Invests savings dollars in safe, secure investments, primarily loans to other members.
- Undergoes regularly scheduled exams performed by the NCUA and an external CPA auditing firm.
- Receives oversight by the LGFCU Supervisory Committee.
- Periodic audits of operations departments and branches by SECU Audit Services. (LGFCU provides operations and branch support for its members via the SECU network.)
- Bonds all employees with access to account information.
- Maintains property insurance to guard against losses by fire and theft.
- Sets aside annual reserves for additional protection as required by law.
Maximize your account coverage
If you have several credit union accounts and would like to know how to structure them for maximum insurance coverage, Visit the NCUA website and use the Share Insurance Estimator or download the brochure Your Insured Funds.
You may obtain additional separate coverage on multiple accounts, but only if you have different ownership interests or rights in different types of accounts, and you complete the appropriate forms.
Have questions or interested in learning more?
- Call the Contact Center at 888.732.8562
- Visit your local branch