Enjoy the ease of free or low-cost, in-branch tax preparation all year. We’ll electronically file your taxes to receive your refund quickly, and have it directly deposited into one of your LGFCU accounts.
Tax preparation at your local branch
Two tax preparation services are available at your nearest branch location. All locations have trained employees to help eligible members complete and electronically file tax returns.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Through a partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), members with a 2016 household income of $54,000 or less can receive free help to complete and electronically file basic tax returns.
Low cost tax preparation
For members whose income exceeds the $54,000 VITA program limit, there's a low cost alternative for basic tax preparation needs. For a flat fee of $75 per return, Credit Union tax preparers will complete and electronically file your return. The Credit Union's fee-based tax preparation service is not associated with the VITA program.
No appointment necessary
Gather your tax documents and stop by your local branch. There's no need to call for an appointment! A tax preparer will confirm your eligibility for either service, make sure that you've brought all the documents needed and make copies of your information. Within 5 business days, your return will be ready for you to review and sign.
What should I bring?
For a faster visit, download our Tax Preparation Document. Print and complete the questionnaire, tax form 13614-C and the consent form, and bring these documents with you. Also, bring the following items:
- Picture ID for yourself (and your spouse, if applicable)
- Social Security cards for yourself and all other individuals on your return (spouse and all dependents)
- Your prior year tax return
- All income documents including W-2s, 1099s and other tax documents
- Healthcare tax documents including Forms 1095 A, B or C, Marketplace Exemption Letters etc.
- Documentation of higher education expenses, including tuition paid and student loan interest paid
- Form 1098-T and other documentation of higher education expenses including tuition paid and student loan interest paid
- Daycare expenses and the daycare provider's name, address and tax ID number
- Documentation or a detailed listing to support itemized deductions if applicable.* These items may include:
- Mortgage loan interest paid
- Charitable contributions
- Property taxes paid (home and auto)
- Medical expenses
*Note: In lieu of bringing individual receipts and statements, you can complete the Itemized Deduction Detail Sheet.
Other restrictions may apply. Please contact your local branch for additional information.
Deposit your tax refund into an LGFCU account
If you’re getting a refund, let it make more money for you! Deposit it into a Holiday Cash Club Account and get a jump on paying for holiday spending next year while earning dividends on it. Or consider opening a Money Market Share Account to start an emergency savings fund.