Enjoy the ease of getting your federal and state taxes professionally prepared and electronically filed for only $75 at a branch near you!
Tax preparation is a big sell. It’s been hassle-free.
It’s been one of the best things."
Trevor F. | River Bend
Tax preparers are ready to complete and electronically file basic 2019 federal and state tax returns for a flat fee of $75 at your local branch.
Who’s eligible to use our low-cost tax preparation service?
You can take advantage of this service if you:
- Are an LGFCU member.
- Have tax reporting items within the scope of our program (see list below).
- Resided a full year in North Carolina or one of its bordering states (Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia or South Carolina) during the tax year.
- Only have income from North Carolina or one of its bordering states during the tax year.
Updates to tax preparation services at the branch March 2020
While Credit Union branches are temporarily using drive-thru service for the majority of services, the in-branch tax service is also undergoing changes due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Members who need to drop off tax return information should call their nearest branch to schedule an appointment.
- A tax preparer will begin working on your tax return, and a completed return will be available for your review and signature as soon as possible.
What should I do before visiting a branch?
For starters, download the Getting Started Kit. Complete the questionnaire, tax form 13614-C and the consent form, print and bring these documents with you. Also, bring the following items:
- Picture ID for yourself (and your spouse, if applicable)
- Social Security cards for yourself and all other individuals on your return (spouse and all dependents)
- Your prior year tax return
- All income documents including W-2s, 1099s and other tax documents. Many of these documents are available in Member Connect by January 31.
- Health care tax documents including Forms 1095 A, B or C, Marketplace Exemption Letters, etc.
- Form 1098-T and other documentation of higher education expenses including tuition paid and student loan interest paid
- Daycare expenses and the daycare provider's name, address and tax ID number
- Receipts, statements or other documents to support itemized deductions, or instead you can complete this Itemized Deduction Detail Sheet. These items may include:
- Mortgage loan interest paid
- Charitable contributions
- Property taxes paid (home and auto)
- Medical expenses
Other restrictions may apply. Please contact your local branch for additional information.
Anything else I should know?
Here are some other items to keep in mind prior to visiting a branch:
Year-end tax forms. All year-end tax forms/documents are available in Member Connect on or before January 31. These forms are also mailed to members by the end of January. Year-end tax documents include 1099-C, 1099-INT, 1099-Q, 1099-R, 1099–S, and Credit Card Annual Activity Summary.
Electronic filing. In rare instances returns cannot be electronically filed. If this situation occurs, your tax preparer will give you instructions on how to mail your completed return.
Fee payment. Eligible members can choose to have the $75 tax preparation fee deducted from their tax refund. See the “Fee From Refund Consent Form” within the Getting Started Kit for eligibility requirements.
Military income. Credit Union preparers can prepare returns with military retirement income on form 1099R but are not certified to prepare returns with active military income (reported on form W-2).
I’m ready to visit a branch; what’s next?
Please call your local branch to make an appointment. When you’re ready, just gather your tax documents and bring them with you. A tax preparer will confirm your eligibility, make sure that you've brought all the documents needed, and make copies of your information.
Your return will be ready for you to review and sign as soon as possible. Once you’ve signed your return and paid, the Credit Union can electronically file the return and provide you with a copy.
Deposit your tax refund into an LGFCU account
If you’re getting a refund, get it faster and let it make more money for you! Have the IRS automatically deposit it into your Money Market Share Account or Share Savings Account and enjoy the benefits of building a rainy day fund, with compounding interest.
To set up direct deposit you’ll need:
- The Routing Number 253184537.
- Your account number. This number is shown in Member Connect and on your printed monthly statement.