Phishing scam targets LGFCU members in Statesville
October 25, 2012
Recently a website was found which attempts to steal LGFCU members' personal and account information. It uses "local government federal credit union statesville" as its name.
The site tries to get you to apply for a payday loan, promising it takes only 15 minutes with approval in an hour. Payday loans are illegal in North Carolina. While LGFCU has a salary advance loan, it does not offer traditional payday loans.
The only place you can access your accounts or apply for loans online is through MemberConnect at www.lgfcu.org. Never provide your personal information or account information to apply for a loan, or handle other LGFCU business at any other website.
Here are a few clues to help you detect a phishing website:
- It may use LGFCU or Local Government Federal Credit Union repetitively on the page.
- Uses the same or similar phrases over and over.
- Seems like a hard sell including flashing ads.
- Has many errors in grammar or too many typos.
- Is poorly designed or looks amateurish.
- Promises quick approval with no process or large amounts of cash.
As you search the Internet, please be aware that you may find websites that use our name, logo or other proprietary images to trick members. If you ever have doubts about whether an email, mailing or website is legitimately affiliated with LGFCU, here's how to contact us:
Contact Center: 888.732.8562
Administrative Office: 800.344.4846