Credit Union Movement
LGFCU works to build and strengthen the credit union movement by:
- Providing financial and in-kind resources to others within the credit union community.
- Actively advocating the credit union difference at all levels of government and in other appropriate public forums.
- Participating in local, state and national cooperative activities as appropriate.
- Building relationships with other sectors of the national cooperative movement.
LGFCU participates in the following activities to help members have the best opportunities:
Biannual "Hike The Hill"
Hike The Hill is a legislator/credit union awareness campaign on Capitol Hill. The North Carolina Credit Union League reported LGFCU as the number one attendee during a five-year period; the board and management take their role of participating in the political process as a priority responsibility.
Frequent contact with legislative bodies
Management actively communicates with local and national politicians.
Frequent contact with key legislators
LGFCU participates in the North Carolina Government Affairs conference annually and has developed relationships with legislators that allow LGFCU to state positions on credit union issues.
Share human and capital resources with credit unions in need
We assisted the NC Press Association Credit Union to develop marketing and published materials. We also help other credit unions in local campaigns for financial literacy as well as lobbying efforts against payday lending.
Participate in local/federal political and regulatory advocacy
Management and the board are active participants on Hike the Hill trips. The LGFCU president serves on a CUNA national regulatory advisory committee.
Active participation in local and national credit union organizations
A sample of credit union organizations currently supported by LGFCU management:
- NAFCU Technology Advisory Committee
- CUES/Marketing Advisory Committee
- NC Credit Union League CFO Council
- NC Credit Union League Board of Directors
- NC Credit Union League Governmental Affairs Committee
- First Carolina Corporate CU Credit Committee
- NAFCU Accounting Standards Committee
- National Credit Union Institute
- Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Board of Directors
- Carolina CU Foundation Scholarship Committee
- NC Credit Union League Marketing Council
Active, targeted lobbying efforts
The Credit Union has been actively involved in financial literacy, the fight against payday lenders, REG relief, bankruptcy reform, in addition to other important national credit union issues.
Participation in national/local image and cooperative advertising campaigns promoting the credit union difference
LGFCU has supported local, state and national image campaigns.
Encourage staff and volunteers to play an active role in league, chapter and other networks
Management and board members are actively involved at local, state and national levels; staff is encouraged to attend chapter meetings to keep abreast of industry happenings.
Create and/or participate in strategic alliances and partnerships
- North Carolina League of Municipalities
- North Carolina County Commissioners Association
- North Carolina State Firemen's Association
- North Carolina State Employees' Credit Union